Being active is one of the most important things you can do each day, for good health and wellbeing. All physical activity provides benefits and if you’re pressed for time, there are plenty of easy ways to get started. To help you maintain your physical activity when spending time at home, we’ve rounded up a few tips to help you include movement throughout your day.
Schedule a timer and move regularly
Set a timer on your phone to remind you to move your body – try to avoid sitting for long periods by making sure you move every hour. This could be to walk up and down the corridor, or to perform a simple, specific exercise for example: 10 star jumps (these can be done with or without jumping), or five push-ups (on the floor on your toes or knees or against a wall). If you do this several times a day, you’ll fit in physical activity without even noticing!
Get creative with your physical activity
Every step and movement counts! Try these simple physical activities at home:
- Dance in your living room to your favourite song – turn up the music and dance like no one is watching.
- Playing your favourite sports in your backyard using household items, such as wheelie bins, as goals or boundary lines.
- Stand up and do some on the place marching (knees up as high as comfortable) while watching your favourite movie or TV show.
- Use milk cartons and cans to replace weights that you might use in the gym.
- Use chalk to draw a ladder on the pavement in the backyard to walk/run/jump/hop through.
For more physical activity ideas, watch these free guided strength, mobility and balance videos and give these movements a go at home.